The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

49ers Conference Final Champions!

49ers are going to the Super Bowl!
49ers Conference Final Champions!

The 49ers have made it to the Super Bowl! The Niners and the Detroit Lions played a compelling game weeks ago. Though the game started off rough, the 49ers emerged victorious with a final score of 34-31. This made the Niners Conference Champions and set them on track to the Super Bowl. The compelling first half really scared 49ers fans being down 24-7 going into halftime. However, in the second half, fans’ hopes rose, as they came out with renewed motivation and spirit, ready to win. The game ended with three touchdowns in the second half and two field goals, putting the 49ers in the lead and winning with a whopping score of 34-31. They upset the Lions in a 27-point run and made one of the biggest comebacks in NFL History. This game had many ups and downs varying between bad decisions and mistakes by players and coaches, which could have changed the outcome of the game entirely. A main factor in the Niners’ second-half turnaround was when the Detroit Lions were stopped twice in field goal range. During the fourth down, the Lions attempted a touchdown when there was no guarantee that they would get it. Instead, they could have gone for a guaranteed field goal, which would’ve extended their lead. In turn, this could have lowered the morale of the Niners. The Lions tried for the first down conversion on fourth down in Field Goal range and attempted the touchdown. Unfortunately, the Lions lost the ball and failed their fourth-down attempts both times. The Niners scored after both of these failed attempts, and turned around the game. If the Lions had decided to be less ambitious and play it safe, it could have cost the 49ers their season.
     Winning this game sends the 49ers to the Super Bowl, one of the biggest and most exciting events in American sports. In the Super Bowl, the Niners will face the Kansas City Chiefs, whose quarterback has a record of four Super Bowl appearances!
Speaking of the Super Bowl, let’s move on to the 49ers’ and the Chiefs’ strengths and weaknesses going into the Super Bowl. One of the Niners’ biggest strengths is their ability to run with the ball. This year, the 49ers lead the NFL in rushing touchdowns with twenty-seven in the regular season, and the third most rushing yards, with 2,389 yards. Their weakness is that Trent Williams will not participate in the big game. This is a great tragedy since he protects Brock Purdy from those on the opposing team. Without Williams, more pressure will be put on the 49ers’ Quarterback. The Kansas City Chiefs’ strength is a Coverage-Pass Rush Combination, which has a four-man pass-rush, while four defenders remain in underneath coverage. Ever since Patrick Mahomes took over as the Kansas City Chiefs’ starting quarterback, the team’s offense has carried its defense. They do have some weaknesses which lie in their wide receivers’ hands. The Chiefs’ wide receivers have been an increasing issue this year. Unlike previous seasons when they’ve had multiple 1,000-yard pass-catchers, no one crossed that threshold in Kansas City in 2023. This will be a very exciting Super Bowl as it is a rematch between the 49ers and the Chiefs from 2019. Both teams have advantages that could change the outcome of the game.

Fallon students’ gave their opinions on who should win the Super Bowl as shown in the attached pie chart.                               

Sources

Biggest Strengths, Weaknesses of NFL Teams in 2024 NFC and AFC Championship Games | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

49ers vs. Lions odds, line, spread, predictions: 2024 NFC Championship Game picks by expert on 61-43 roll – CBSSports.com

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Xzavier Monnastes, Sports Director
Donate to The Maverick Newspaper
$0
$5000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Fallon Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.