Injuries from Virtual Reality

Injuries from Virtual Reality

Imagine you’re playing video games with your friends using a virtual reality (VR) headset when suddenly you run into a wall and hit your head. Although it’s exciting to play realistic-feeling video games, VR can cause various injuries. 

Ellie Fong, a Fallon seventh grader recalled a chaotic story, “Me and my cousins were playing VR in the mall, pretending to fight goblins. We kept bumping into each other, hitting each other, then we were being surrounded [by goblins in the game] and my cousins crashed into each other and fell on the floor.”

As Ellie’s story shows, VR can be hazardous sometimes. In addition, a sixth grader Ilyas Qaadri commented, “You can walk into walls using VR. I sprained my ankle [while playing].” While wearing a VR headset, one cannot see the real area around them.  This commonly results in bumping into objects, which can cause painful injuries like the one Ilyas sustained to his ankle.

According to an article by Neoscope, a subsidiary of the Knight Foundation of Journalism,   “Virtual Reality Users Keep Suffering Horrible Injuries,” it states, “VR presents a very specific category of risk because you literally cannot see your surroundings while wearing it.” (Noor Al-Sibai). This adds to the previous point of how not being connected to reality can cause injuries as someone can be too immersed in the game, not remembering what’s around them. Using VR can force one to physically use the game, which requires moving your body.

As demonstrated in the article “Virtual Reality Injuries,” by the Shiner Law Group, “When you purchase a VR headset, it includes detailed directions and instructions on the proper use of the product. If you plan to use the device, you need to read the instructions and follow them to prevent serious injuries.” (Attorney David Shiner). Although you can follow the instructions in the manual that comes with the VR, you cannot rely only on this source to remain safe. 

Injuries are becoming more common among those using VR. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent these risks. For example, one can decrease the time one plays VR and make sure there is a clear space to play in, as shown in the evidence above. To properly be safe using VR, you always have to be cautious of what’s happening in reality. What are your ideas to decrease the risks of getting hurt using VR?                                                                                                                                                             

Sources: https://futurism.com/neoscope/vr-injuries 

https://shinerlawgroup.com/virtual-reality-injuries/