The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Bridging the Gap: Empowering Women in STEM Fields

Introduction:

In the world of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), there is a continuous gender gap that limits the full potential of talented women.

What is the Gender Gap?

The current share of women in computing jobs is on a concerning decline. The research indicates that women comprise only 24% of the computing workforce. This decline is a red flag, emphasizing that universal access to computer education in schools alone will not bridge the divide. To fix this decline, the report by Girls Who Code, a non-profit organization wanting to close the gender gap, recommends a focused approach that aims to increase the number of women in computing jobs to 3.9 million by 2025. This ambitious goal intends to lift the share of women in the computing workforce from the current 24% to a more acceptable 39%, bringing about not only gender balance but also substantial economic benefits.

What happens if we close the gender gap? 

Taking immediate action is crucial, with a particular focus on girls in junior high school. Initiating interventions at this critical stage and sustaining girls’ interest throughout their education can substantially impact reversing the negative course of women in computing. Girls Who Code will generate $299 billion in additional cumulative earnings if implemented effectively. By having more women in the workforce, 40% of companies will be able to earn more money due to the increase of workers. This economic benefit underscores the importance of investing in tailored computing education for girls.

Closing the Gender Gap:

Schools should ensure that what students learn represents everyone to reduce the gap between boys and girls. Our lessons should include information about boys and girls so everyone feels included and important. It’s also important to have programs that help girls get into science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) subjects. These programs should show that anyone, regardless of gender, can be good at these things. This is how to eliminate the idea that certain subjects are just for boys or girls.

Another approach can be used to set up programs where girls can connect with successful women in different jobs. This way, young women can get the advice and inspiration they need to pursue STEM.

Conclusion: 

By acknowledging the gender gap, understanding its importance, and executing proactive strategies, middle/high schools can create environments that empower all students to succeed academically and pursue their passions without limitations.