The Alameda County Fire Department’s Recent Theft

On the morning of February 13, while most people were staying indoors because of the heavy rain and wind, some Alameda County Fire Department firefighters were ready to go out and help those in need. But they faced an unexpected obstacle: someone had broken into their trucks and stolen their equipment and bags.

The firefighters stayed at a hotel in Pleasanton, where they had parked their trucks overnight. They were part of a new unit that specialized in handling emergencies caused by storms, such as downed trees and power lines. This group is very important due to the Bay Area’s increased rainy weather. They had worked hard to prepare and customize their tools for their tasks.

Upon reaching their trucks, the firefighters were met with a disheartening sight. The locks had been tampered with, and their essential equipment and personal belongings were gone. Among the stolen items were chainsaws, radios, helmets, gloves, and personal effects. The loss of these crucial tools, which had been meticulously prepared and customized for their storm-related tasks, is a significant blow to their operations and a matter of great concern due to the high cost of these supplies. 

Eric Truax, a team member, expressed his deep sadness and anger upon discovering the theft. He shared that some of the stolen items held sentimental value for him, such as his bag, which had been with him for 16 years.“It was a demoralizing experience,” Truax admitted. We are a new unit, which was a tough blow for us. We had customized this gear to work with us.” The loss of these cherished items has undoubtedly left a profound emotional impact on the team. 

Truax said that the theft also delayed their work, as they had to wait for the police to come and file a report. He said they missed some calls they could have responded to if they had their tools.

He said the team received donations from other fire departments and the community to help them recover. But he still hoped that the thieves would return their stuff, especially as they prepared for the next round of storms.

Despite the setback, Truax reassured that the team remains steadfast in their commitment to serving Alameda County’s people. The theft has undoubtedly left a mark on the hardworking firefighters, but they are determined not to let it deter them. The police are currently conducting an investigation to apprehend the culprits. 

“We are here to help people, not to get robbed,” Truax said. “We hope that whoever did this will realize that they are hurting us and the people who need our help.”

Sources: Alameda County Fire crew gets equipment stolen in Pleasanton | KRON4