The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Netflix Canceling Shows

If you enjoy binge watching TV-shows on Netflix, you must know how Netflix always cancels some good series out of the blue. Imagine you’ve just viewed a new series and absolutely loved it, but after some research, you find out that they’re not coming out with another season.

There are so many outstanding series that have been canceled. For example, “Anne With An E”, a very popular series that ended right after its thrilling  third season. The series cancellation was shocking to fans everywhere.

Jessica Brajar from MovieWeb states that,  “Anne With An E is not the only victim of Netflix’s strict conditions to keep shows running. The infuriating aspect of these abrupt cancellations is that some of these shows are of high cinematic quality and are worthy of being offered to the public through big companies like Netflix.” There are so many popular shows that keep canceling, even though much time and money have obviously been put into it. 

Other shows that have been canceled by Netflix include, Raising Dion, Lockwood and Co, Julie And the Phantoms, The Society, and so many more. 

You may be wondering why all these outstanding shows have been canceled, and   there are many reasons why. For example, Bec Oakes from Unilad explains, “One of the big reasons behind Netflix choosing to ditch or renew a show is a metric called ‘completion rate’, which measures how many viewers actually watched a series through to the end.” This proof shows how many series have been discontinued due to the amount of people actually watching the show. It is because different people like to watch different types of genres such as horror, comedy, romance, mystery, and thriller. In addition, there are also many shows on Netflix that are very unpopular, but still remain on the platform, even though other series many enjoy have been canceled. Another reason why Netflix discontinues series is because of financial problems. For example, Alex Lee from Wired says, Shows on Netflix are more expensive after season two, and even more expensive after season three, with the premiums going up each season.” This means that shows on Netflix can also be canceled due to rising expenses.

Netflix has canceled so many amazing shows for various reasons, which leave countless fans disappointed. But we cannot do anything about this. Will Netflix consider listening to their viewers, and not disappoint their fans? Or will they continue to discontinue shows unexpectedly?