The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Spelling Bee

For a month, many students from different backgrounds came together to compete for the title of Spelling Bee winner. Sixth grade science teacher, Mr. Luehrs conducted the competition, which consisted of different rounds and the ability to memorize and repeat terms quickly under pressure. This put students to the test and allowed them to break academic boundaries they never thought they could accomplish before. 

The third place winner, Kashvi Gupta (8) shared her experience, “It was a nerve-wracking journey, and I could feel my heart tighten… but it was an incredible experience, one that I will always cherish.” She expressed this after securing third place in the annual contest. Many students echoed her sentiment, emphasizing that diligent practice was the key to their success, and without it, they might not have been as well-prepared. 

So, how do students prepare for the challenge in advance? It may seem daunting at first, but with the proper guidance and support from adults, word repetition emerges as the most effective method to prepare for the Annual Spelling Bee. Armed with the school’s customary word list, students can embark on a journey of word memorization. Additionally, learning to manage anxiety, reading extensively for comprehension, and focusing on grammar are fundamental skills for any language-based competition.

As the rounds continued on, many students came to support their peers as well as watch the competition in action. The Spelling Bee ended with Vibhuti Puthiyaveetil (8) in first place, Arnav Tikole (6) in second place, Kashvi Gupta (8) in third place, and Adithi Rao (6) in fourth place. Overall, the Spelling Bee helped unite the Fallon community further, as well as showcasing the school spirit, and academic excellence. By showing your assistance, it helps strengthen friendship, as well as bond between fellow peers.