Elton John and Bernie Taupin were honored with the prestigious Library of Congress Gershwin Prize.

And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time

‘Til touchdown brings me ’round again to find

I’m not the man they think I am at home

Oh, no, no, no

I’m a rocket man

Rocket man

Burning out his fuse up here alone”

If these lyrics seem familiar, it’s because it’s one of Elton John and Bernie Taupin’s most popular songs worldwide: Rocket Man. You might even know it from the remake made with Dua Lipa, called Cold Heart, written with some borrowed lyrics. These two famous music writers, Bernie Taupin and Elton John, who have been creating music together for over 50 years, won the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize. With hits like “Rocket Man” and “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” the duo has made large strides in the music industry and earned the support of millions of people worldwide. Recently, they won the distinguished Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, another trophy to accompany their five Grammys and two Golden Globes. The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song is awarded to artists whose discography has impacted the music industry and pop culture. Past winners include national icons like Billie Joel (2014), Paul McCartney (2010), and Stevie Wonder (2009).

Elton John remarks in his acceptance speech, “That’s the magic of music…There’s something about rock and roll, the blues, gospel, R&B, country, and jazz that fills your soul with emotion. It pounds your soul, and we’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of that.” 

The two first met in 1967. After working together, they delivered their first hit, “Your Song” in 1970 and created 14 albums in the next few years. They’d grown so familiar with music that “Taupin could present John with a lyric, and he could compose it within the hour” (Songwriters Hall of Fame). Elton John is one of the most successful artists in history, with almost 30 Top-40 hits, 30 Gold Albums, and 25 Platinum Albums. They’ve collected over 30 awards, including Grammys, Emmys, and Golden Globes.

Ultimately, Elton John and Bernie Taupin have worked hard for almost half a century to earn this award. They’re still writing albums together today as a great duo and creating indescribable feelings in music lovers’ hearts.

Sources:

Elton John and Bernie Taupin to Receive the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song 

.loc.gov/about/awards-and-honors/gershwin-prize?loclr=blogloc#:~:text=The%20Library%20of%20Congress%20Gershwin,musical%20expression%20and%20cultural%20understanding

Meet Bernie Taupin, the Writer Behind Elton John’s Biggest Hits 

Elton John – Awards – IMDb

Elton John and Bernie Taupin | Songwriters Hall of Fame

View Comments (1)
About the Contributors
Rhea Kachroo, Staff Writer
Gia Malaca
Gia Malaca, Staff Writer
$0
$5000