The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Apple’s 6 Million dollar loss – How a Con Artist Did it

A recent scam involving counterfeit Apple products came to light, which was orchestrated by Zhiwei ‘Allen’ Liao and his brothers. This scheme, which cost Apple over $6 million, entailed manipulating warranty replacements through a complex operation spanning several years. The intricate nature of the scam, combined with its financial impact, underscores the loopholes found in Apple’s warrant policies and how individuals may exploit them for personal gain.

The perpetrators acquired sophisticated counterfeit iPhones and iPads from China, meticulously replicating the appearance of genuine devices while ensuring their non-functionality. These fake products were then assigned legitimate serial numbers corresponding to devices sold in the United States, effectively cloning the identities of authentic Apple products still under warranty. They utilized a network of people posing as genuine customers, who presented the counterfeit devices at Apple stores, claiming they were experiencing technical malfunctions covered under warranty. As per Apple’s policy, the counterfeit devices were replaced with real authenticated products, unbeknownst to the company’s staff. This exploitation of Apple’s commitment to customer satisfaction formed the backbone of their plan, allowing the perpetrators to acquire genuine devices at no cost. 

The genuine replacements were subsequently smuggled back to China and sold as new Apple products, yielding substantial profits for the scammers. The seamless integration of counterfeit and authentic products within Apple’s supply chain facilitated the smooth execution of the scam over an extended period. 

Ultimately, a collaborative effort between the FBI and the San Diego Police Department led to the exposure and prosecution of the perpetrators. Zhiwei ‘Allen’ Liao and his brothers now face the consequences of a 51-month prison sentence.. the critical role of law enforcement agencies in dismantling and disinfecting such elaborate schemes, thereby safeguarding consumers and businesses from financial loss and reputational damage.

Sources:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-28/apple-to-lose-6-million-iphone-pros-from-tumult-at-china-plant