Strategies to prevent Bullying

“Nearly half of U.S. teens have ever been cyberbullied, according to the 2022 Center Survey on Teens” (Schaeffer, 2023). 

Bullying has been a significant problem that can occur on many levels. It is seen in different environments, including school settings or digitally. According to humanrights.gov.au, “Bullying is when people repeatedly and intentionally use words or actions against someone or a group of people to cause distress and risk to their wellbeing.” Though a large number of people in our population may not have firsthand experience with bullying, many have either been a bystander or an upstander to a situation. To avoid events like this in the future, we can start by teaching the youth techniques like compassion, connections, behavior, and countless other strategies (Lesley University).

Building compassion for others is an effective technique as it can lead to empathy and the ability to feel for others and share experiences. By teaching this in schools from a young age, students will be able to see through different perspectives, recognize the impacts of their actions, and recognize others’ differences. Through events like SEL Day that are implemented at Fallon, students can use these abilities and make a safer environment for those around them.

Furthermore, another technique involves building connections with your peers. Studies show that when people feel included in an environment, they are more able to communicate with those being bullied. With activities at Fallon, like rallies and after-school activities like clubs, many students can connect and have fun together.

Additionally, by learning to identify behavioral actions and emotional states, children can help further prevent bullying. This is because if people can understand what they are feeling further and identify their emotions deeper, it is less likely that they will keep holding things in, making it less likely for them to release aggression on others. By following this strategy, many can confide in others and discuss their problems. Also, learning different forms of destressing can be very helpful, as it can allow for an outlet to release yourself. This may include art forms/methods, reading, sports, and other hobbies close to your heart.

Lastly, one of the most important things that any bystander can do is take action and become an upstander. This can include telling a trusted adult, helping the person acted upon in the situation, ensuring the victim is okay, and doing whatever may help further de-escalate the event.

All in all, strategies to prevent bullying in the future are essential to any environment as they can help increase connectivity, compassion, and empathy and decrease the number of cases and forms of bullying. By learning these techniques, students can help each other out and become even closer than before.

Additionally, if students face bullying, they can seek help or report the event to the administration, counselors, or any staff member on campus.

Sources:

Australian Human Rights Commission

6 Ways Educators Can Prevent Bullying in Schools | Lesley University