The Truth Behind Your Favorite Hygiene & Beauty Products

Hundreds of animals are in cages, stripped away from their habitats, waiting for the day their pain will finally end. Chemicals have been injected into their skin, doing irreversible damage to their bodies. 88% of brands use their products on animals to ensure your safety. Though this may seem like a good thing, the lives of the animals testing these products are at risk.

In 2024 alone, many popular brands have been trending online for their use of animal testing. Aquaphor, CeraVe, Cetaphil, Maybelline, Dove, NARS, La Roche Posay, and Sephora are just some of the brands that test on animals. However, all of these brands are proven to not be cruelty-free.

Rats, monkeys, and rabbits are the usual victims of animal testing, since they’re biologically similar to humans. During testing, animals are commonly: 

• Physically restrained
  • Deprived of food and water 
  • Killed by neck-breaking, decapitation, etc
  • Exposed to toxic chemicals that could cause illness or death 
  • Genetically modified

There are multiple alternatives to animal testing that are not only quicker but usually have more accurate results. One of these other possibilities is in-vitro tests, which test products on donated human cells taken out during surgery. Another common alternative to animal testing is using human volunteers to be tested on.

Many animals are being tested for our own sake, but what about their sake? Animals are going through abuse for brands that so many people use everywhere around the world. Fortunately, there are so many ways to help decrease the risk of animals, including boycotting brands, switching to cruelty-free products, or encouraging companies to use different testing methods. Will you help save the lives of innocent animals?

Sources:

About Animal Testing – Humane Society International 

268+ Companies That Test On Animals (2024 Update) 

List of Officially Cruelty-Free Brands (2024 Update)