The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

New Laws For 2024 Affecting 18 and Younger

New laws and regulations are made nearly every day. In a rapidly changing society filled with advancements contributing to our complicated world, knowledge is the key to our complex lives. Understanding of the law can be used to learn about new laws that can affect you, particularly for those aged 18 and younger, who need to be educated about their rights, responsibilities, and the impact of new laws that affect them.

For instance, have you seen a gender-neutral aisle in any store? A new California state law known as AB-1084 was put into effect on January 1st, 2024. The law states that toy retailers that have 500 or more employees must have a gender-neutral aisle, which means products are not specific to people of a particular gender. The state law explains that a gender-neutral toy aisle will create a more diverse environment. If stores don’t follow this new law, they will have to pay a $250 penalty for the first violation. For the second offense, the store will be forced to pay $500.

Another upcoming law that California’s governor, Gavin Newsom, signed off on is a regulation called the California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act. This law requires companies to protect children’s rights when making digital products and to implement a safeguard on any online websites that kids can access, which goes into effect in July 2024.The law bans websites from being able to use private information in a way that can harm children.

A new law is The California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act not only strengthens privacy and protects minors, but also respects and safeguards the rights of younger citizens by focusing on online services directed at children under the age of 16. Overall, this act discourages websites that might exploit the low understanding of minors and their rights, which can put them in an uncomfortable situation.

Another new bill that will affect all students after July 2024 is the Keep Kids in School initiative. Students in grades kindergarten to 12th will be considered under the Keep Kids in School bill, which would prevent students from being suspended or expelled due to willful defiance. This means acts like disrupting classes will not result in being suspended or expelled, but will instead result in another punishment. It would be left up to the principal or administration to find an acceptable discipline for these students. The bill was put in place to help at-risk students, which would include students of color, the homeless, the disabled, those in foster care, and LGBTQIA+ students. They are more likely to be seen as willfully defiant and suspended. This bill would help them stay in school and help them get better both inside and outside of school with help from counselors and others. However, suspending students is still possible if this student has committed a more serious crime, such as physical injury to another person, found in using or in possession of drugs, or for destruction of school property.

The new laws in 2024 that affect those under 18 are important because they specify what is going on in this state and its possible effect on students. They also help kids feel included, safe, and protected by law. Many new laws have been made to support the aim of trying to make this society a better place for those under 18. Gaining awareness of new legislation enables individuals to understand their rights and responsibilities, which empowers them to navigate society with ease.

Sources:

CNN-Gender-neutral toy aisles  

Keep Kids In School

California Age-Appropriate Design Code