Gukesh D Wins Chess Candidates

On a historic Sunday, April 21st, 17-year-old chess prodigy Gukesh Dommaraju etched his name in the annals of chess history. He became the youngest player ever to win the prestigious 2024 Chess Candidates, a feat that catapulted him into the Limelight. This victory has earned him the right to challenge Ding Liren, the reigning world champion, in the 2024 World Chess Championships. If he manages to secure the title, he will not only become the youngest world champion but also break Garry Kasparov’s record set at the age of 22.

Gukesh will play the reigning champion from China, Ding Liren, in a match. The International Chess Federation hasn’t announced the date and place of the game, but according to its policies, it is expected to take place in November. The match will consist of 14 games, and whoever wins the most will take home at least $2.1 million.

Among the candidates, Gukesh was faced by many other top players, such as American super grandmasters Hikaru Nakamura and Fabiano Caruana, as well as Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia. All three players have an extensive chess history and were ranked by former world champion Magnus Carlsen to be far more likely to win the chess candidates. Since Gukesh didn’t have much experience, most of his competitors believed he had a significantly less chance of winning. However, he proved them wrong when he took home first place, while the Hikaru, Caruana, and Nepomniachtchi scored a half-point less and tied for second place. 

Gukesh’s only loss during the tournament was in the seventh round out of 14 when he lost to Alireza Firouzja from France. Instead of being heartbroken, though, the loss motivated him and gave him hope that he had a chance of winning the candidates. Gukesh went on to win five games and draw the rest.

Despite being the youngest player among the chess candidates, Gukesh proved his opponents wrong upon winning. With determination and focus, a 17-year-old won a tournament in which far more experienced players were competing, proving that with the right mindset, there are no boundaries to what an individual can do.

Sources:

The Next Winner of the World Chess Championship Could Be the Youngest Ever

Indian teenager becomes youngest challenger for world chess title, will face reigning champion from China | CNN