Positive Mental Health Tips for Teens

A Fun Guide to Staying Happy and Healthy!

In our generation, mental health sometimes is just not stressed as much as it should be. Many students have a tough time expressing their struggles with their mental health. Fortunately, there are many ways to become stress-free and have a clear, healthy mind. 

1. Express Yourself 🎨

Ever felt like there was a bundle of emotions inside you that’s about to explode? We’ve all been there. The trick is to channel these feelings into something creative. Write a poem, paint a picture, or even dance it out in your room. Remember, it’s not about being perfect, it’s about expressing yourself.

2. Stay Active 🏃‍♀️

Exercise isn’t just for athletes. It’s a fantastic way to boost your mood and keep stress at bay. And no, you don’t have to run a marathon. A simple walk in the park or a quick yoga session can do wonders.

3. Healthy Eating 🥦

You are what you eat, they say. Well, it’s true! Your diet plays a significant role in how you feel. Try to incorporate fruits, vegetables, and whole grains into your meals. And remember, occasional treats are perfectly okay!

4. Sleep Well 😴

Pulling an all-nighter might seem like a good idea, but trust us, it’s not. Your brain needs rest to function properly. So, try to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. And yes, that means putting away your phone!

5. Talk It Out 🗣️

Sometimes, the best therapy is a good chat with a friend. Don’t hesitate to share your feelings. Here at Fallon, we have a wonderful team of peer education and counseling eighth graders who are here to help. Fallon also has our wonderful counselors, and the PEAC advisor, Teacher Sharbach. If things get too overwhelming, don’t hesitate to seek professional help. 

6. Mindfulness 🧘‍♂️

Ever heard of mindfulness? It’s all about living in the present moment. Try simple activities like deep breathing or meditation. It might seem tricky at first, but with practice, it can significantly improve your mental well-being.

7. Digital Detox 📵

This one’s tough. But spending too much time on social media can often make us feel anxious or depressed. Try setting aside some time each day where you disconnect from all your devices.

7. Professional Help 🗣️

However, if none of these tips help, then it might be time to seek professional help. Here in Dublin, there are many psychologists ready to assist. Life is a wonderful journey, but there will always be struggles ahead. Please, be kind to yourself, and be ready to take the next step into making yourself in a better mental state. Managing one’s mental health is not possible alone!

Remember, taking care of your mental health doesn’t have to be boring or difficult. It’s all about finding what works for you. So, go ahead, give these tips a try and embark on your journey to a happier, healthier you!

Works Cited: 11 Self-Care Tips for Teens and Young Adults | Psychology Today

How to Help Teens Struggling With Mental Health – The New York Times (nytimes.com)