6th Graders Banned from Library Again

6th Graders Banned from Library Again

Imagine entering Fallon’s school library and discovering Chromebooks everywhere, food wrappers littering the floor, and unorganized chairs dispersed around the room. The sixth graders have been banned from the library again because of the enormous messes they leave after lunch.

Evidence comes from Parker Sill, a Fallon sixth grader who explained some problems he has seen, saying, “They just leave their Chromebooks and a bunch of food [wrappers] all over the tables.” This is disrespectful because food in the library is not allowed due to the messes left, yet this rule is still not followed. Moreover, many peers seemed to know this issue had been happening for some time. 

Furthermore, a Fallon sixth-grader survey mentioned several points, including rough behavior, left-out trash, unplugged Chromebooks, and misplaced books. 

Mr. Drew summarized, “The main issue is not being respectful of a shared space on the campus, as when the bell rings, they all scatter off to their fifth period and leave with Chromebooks left everywhere, furniture all askew, and even the community puzzle was dismantled last week.”  This means that the sixth grader’s actions reflect poorly on them and impact the entire school.

On a positive note, there are numerous ways in which the sixth graders can improve their library use. They can start by efficiently putting away their Chromebooks, adhering to the no-food rule, disposing of all trash, and, most importantly, being responsible and respectful.

In conclusion, the issue of sixth graders leaving trash and Chromebooks scattered in the library has significantly impacted the library’s usability for other grades. The evidence from the survey and interviews is clear that 6th graders can and must do better. While they have been given another chance to use the library, the question remains: Can they adhere to the rules and prevent a potential third ban, thereby resolving this recurring issue?

View Comments (2)
About the Contributor
Gia Malaca
Gia Malaca, Staff Writer
$0
$5000