Nikola Jokic Wins NBA MVP

Nikola Jokic is a 29-year-old Serbian Denver Nuggets player (An NBA basketball team in 2nd place in their conference right now). He plays center (a position in basketball for the tallest player on the court who is used for making close shots and getting rebounds). Jokic recently won the NBA MVP (Most Valuable Player Award) for the third time in his past four seasons; he was destined to win this award because he is top 10 in points this season. He also averaged 26.4 points, 12.4 rebounds, and 9.0 assists per game.

Some people may ask, why did Nicola win MVP over basketball star Joel Embiid, a Cammeroonian-American, Philadelphia 76ers power forward (a position in basketball which they are used for getting all rebounds and making open shots)?  Joel Embiid had outstanding stats and was one of the fan favorites to win NBA MVP. Other standouts were Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Giannis Antekoumpo, and Luka Doncic. But when the votes came in, these other players were not victorious. Many people were shocked, but this season, Nikola Jokic was better overall. 

Along with Jokic playing on the Denver Nuggets, he also plays for the Serbian international team. Jokic was born in 1995 in Sombor, Serbia. He grew up poor, living with his parents, grandmother, and his two older brothers, Strahinja and Nemanja, in a cramped, two-bedroom apartment. Jokic became very passionate about basketball early in his life because his decade-older brothers also played college basketball in Serbia but couldn’t go professional. After Jokic’s hard work and dedication, he was drafted by the Denver Nuggets with the 41st overall pick when he was only 19 years old. He played in the Serbian League at first, playing very well in his first season, and a season later, he joined the Denver Nuggets.

After his two first seasons, he became a franchise player. After 4 more seasons, one NBA finals loss, and All-Star appearances, Jokic won his first MVP award in the 2020-2021 season. He won another NBA MVP award the next season as well, along with the next season, where he won his first NBA championship as well as the Player of the Month in the finals. Then, the 2023-2024 season came and he won his 3rd NBA MVP award. Winning three of these awards is something that only eight people in the history of the NBA have done, including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6), Michael Jordan (5), LeBron James (4), Bill Russell (4), Larry Bird (3), Wilt Chamberlain (3), Magic Johnson (3), and now Nikola Jokic (3). These players listed are some of the greatest basketball players to ever play on the court, and Nicola Jokic has matched them with this award.

Jokic should be very proud of his progress in the NBA. He has come from a small apartment in Sombor, Serbia, to being one of the best NBA players in the world right now. His basketball career has been very entertaining and has fulfilled his dreams of winning an NBA title, being named NBA MVP, and being the best player he could be.

As Jokic’s career progresses, he will undoubtedly join the ranks of the players who inspired him, becoming one of the greatest basketball players of all time. His third MVP win is a testament to his pure skill and effort, and it’s clear that he’s not done yet. The future holds great promise for Jokic, and we can’t wait to see what he achieves next. Good luck, Jokic!

Sources:

https://apnews.com/article/nikola-jokic-nba-mvp-19cda94ce90b7deebc9058e095b8b6c7#

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4938695/2023/10/07/nikola-jokic-denver-nuggets/