The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Taylor Swift Discography: Part 2

Debut, Fearless

Part 2: FEARLESS

Swifties: Last week I asked the question.  What age did Taylor Swift write a 350 page novel? 

The answer is 12 years old! Our winner is Katrin Otaegi. Please come to B-5 to collect your prize!

Taylor Swift continued her musical journey with the album “Fearless,” released on November 11, 2008, just a month before she turned 19. Swift, who had been singing since the age of two, crafted a collection of songs that delved into very personal details about her life, revolving around the main themes of “boys, love, and relationships.”

As an artist on the brink of adulthood, Swift’s ability to capture the essence of teenage life with wistful nostalgia resonated widely. “Fearless” propelled her from the confines of traditional Nashville country music charts into the pop mainstream, marking a significant shift in her career trajectory.

The album spawned five singles, with the first, “Love Story,” breaking records in the music industry. With lyrics invoking Shakespeare’s Romeo And Juliet and a visually captivating music video, the song became a crossover hit, selling over eight million copies worldwide and quickly becoming the best-selling country song of all time.

In track “Fifteen,” Swift reflects on high-school romance, singing, “In your life you’ll do things greater than/Dating the boy on the football team/I didn’t know it at 15.” Her relatable American high-school narratives found universal appeal. The critical acclaim for “Fearless” was widespread, and hits like “Forever And Always,” “Fifteen,” and “You Belong With Me” contributed to Swift’s impressive accolades. 

Swift, known for her candidness, admitted to TV host Ellen DeGeneres that the song title “Forever And Always” was “sarcastic,” referencing a former celebrity boyfriend who had ended their relationship in a mere 27-second phone call. Despite the ups and downs, “The Best Day” served as a feel-good tribute to her parents. The socially-conscious closing track, “Change,” hinted at Swift’s evolving political beliefs.

Rerecord: 

Taylor swift rerecorded her album fearless in 2021.Taylor Swift rerecorded because she wanted her rights back and wanted to show people that she can own her music and still break records. Meanwhile, these are some of the records that Fearless TV broke. TV stands for Taylor’s Version. Taylor Swift’s latest album, marking her ninth consecutive number one, has become the biggest debut for a country album in nearly six years, selling 291,000 equivalent album units in its first week. This achievement also makes it the top overall album release of 2021 in the U.S., according to Billboard. Swift’s success ties her with Madonna for the second-most number one albums among women. The original Fearless album was a massive hit, reigning atop the Billboard 200 for 11 weeks in 2009 and winning Album of the Year at the Grammys, the Country Music Association Awards, and the Academy of Country Music Awards. 

Here are some of Fallon’s favorite Fearless songs: 

Ms. Baker, an eighth-grade history teacher, loves Mr. Perfectly Fine as a Vault song. Fearless was the first Taylor Swift concert in 2009/2010. She also loves songs such as Hey Stephen and Forever and Always. My favorite has to be Mr.Perfectly Fine, or You Belong with Me. I dressed up as Taylor from the music video. 8th graders Sloka Vankini and Aarya Chawante’s favorite fearless song is The Other Side of The Door (Taylor’s Version). Do you have a favorite song that isn’t mentioned? Email [email protected] for next time.

In Swift’s own words, “Fearless is not the absence of fear. It’s not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.”

SWIFTIES: This week question can be found here:  Speak Now Question

Speak Now will be coming soon!

Part 1: DEBUT

Born on December 13, 1989, in West Reading, Pennsylvania, Taylor Swift’s journey to musical stardom began long before she released her album, “Debut”. When Taylor Swift was only 14, she started a musical journey to Nashville with dreams of making it big in the music world. At the age of 16, she released her very first album “Taylor Swift”. Taylor’s debut album was not just about music; it was a mix of family inspiration and personal stories. Her late grandmother, who used to be an opera singer, played a big role in shaping Taylor’s love for music. Inspired by her grandmother and tunes from Dixie Chicks songs, Taylor learned to play the guitar, showing her dedication to becoming a skilled musician.

As she went through the time of her first album, Taylor’s life was a mix of creativity, hard work, and discovering more about herself. Her teenage years, filled with a love for music, became the foundation for the tunes that echoed through the streets of Nashville. Taking inspiration from country legends like Patsy Cline and Dolly Parton, Taylor not only honored her grandmother’s musical roots but also added her own unique touch to her performances.

Released in 2006, the debut album was a joint effort. Taylor worked with songwriter Liz Rose to create hits like “Tim McGraw.” The album’s success, with platinum-certified singles and several Top 10 hits, showed that Taylor could make music that people from different backgrounds enjoyed. While enjoying the success of her first album, Taylor also wrote songs about important and personal topics. 

In “Tied Together With A Smile,” she talked about a friend’s struggle with an eating disorder, showing that her music was not just about catchy tunes but also about real emotions and stories. Taylor’s honesty and storytelling made her stand out in the crowded music scene. Quotes from this time give us a peek into Taylor’s thoughts. She once said, “I didn’t want to just be another girl singer recording other people’s songs. I wanted there to be something that set me apart. And I knew that had to be my writing.” This quote tells us that even back then, Taylor knew she wanted her music to be special and different, setting the tone for her future career. From 2006 to May of 2008, Taylor Swift’s first album wasn’t just about starting a music career; it was the start of a dynasty.

SWIFTIES: What age did Taylor Swift write a 350 page novel? 

https://forms.gle/VX831LWLw8XL2swD8

Come back soon for Part 2. It will be about her Fearless era (and her rerecord)!!