The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Taylor Swift Discography: Part 3

Debut, Fearless, Speak Now

Part 3: SPEAK NOW

Swifties: Last week I asked the question Last Kiss is supposedly written about Taylor Swift’s breakup with who? The answer is Joe Jonas. Please check your email for your prize!

Released on October 25, 2010, when Taylor was just 20, “Speak Now” became a force to be  reckoned with. Let’s start with the records broken, making Taylor Swift a living legend. It’s not every day that an artist has not one, but four albums in the Billboard 200’s top 10 simultaneously. Taylor achieved this feat, echoing the likes of Herb Alpert in 1966 and solidifying her status as a chart-topping powerhouse.

But that’s not all – three top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 from different albums in the same week? Taylor Swift became the first living artist since The Beatles in 1964 to accomplish this incredible milestone. A testament to her enduring influence and cross-generational appeal.

Speak Now Taylor’s Version didn’t just conquer charts; it conquered the hearts of fans worldwide. Within 24 hours of its release, the album claimed the #1 spot in a staggering 150+ countries. This global embrace is a testament to the universal resonance of Taylor’s music.

Swifties, brace yourselves for the Spotify records shattered by “Speak Now.” It became the most streamed album in a single day and the most streamed country album in Spotify’s entire history. Taylor Swift doesn’t just break records; she redefines them.

Now, let’s talk about “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” – a testament to Taylor’s resilience and determination to reclaim her art. The re-recorded version claimed the #1 spot on the charts, marking her ninth consecutive #1 album. In the first 15 hours alone, it garnered a staggering 250,000 equivalent album units.

But the triumph doesn’t end there. “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” had the biggest week of equivalent album units earned for 2023, surpassing other notable releases. It even secured its place as the second-largest vinyl record by sales since Luminate began tracking music sales in 1991, topped only by Swift’s own “Midnights.” In fact, it stands as the second biggest album by sales in 2023, once again topped only by Swift’s “Midnights.”

And here’s the cherry on top – Taylor Swift made history by becoming the first artist to earn over 100 million streams on Spotify in a single day in 2023, all thanks to the magic of “Speak Now Taylor’s Version.”

The staggering sales figures of “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” stand as a testament to the unwavering support of Swifties globally. With 2.096 million copies sold, it represents a remarkable 3.8% of all album sales in the year. Breaking down the numbers further, the physical copies of Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) contribute significantly, with 410,000 copies sold. This includes 268,000 on vinyl, 134,000 on CD, and 8,000 on cassette, showcasing the enduring appeal of physical formats. Meanwhile, digital album download purchases account for an additional 97,000 copies, reflecting the digital age’s continued influence on music consumption. 

But beyond the records, “Speak Now” is a journey through Taylor’s growth as a storyteller. With hits like “Mine,” capturing the essence of young love, and “Back to December,” reflecting on past mistakes, each track is a vivid painting of real-life moments and emotions. The title track, “Speak Now,” takes us on a captivating narrative of a love confession at a wedding, showcasing Taylor’s unmatched ability to weave tales.

This era wasn’t just about records; it was about a community. Hidden messages in the album booklet brought fans together, creating a bond that transcends music. In the words of Taylor during this time, “I’ve always been inspired by the idea that when we speak now, we’re saying the most important things we’ll ever say.”

Here are some of Fallon’s Favorite song:
AJ, an 8th grader  said her favorite song is Story of Us because her mom loves it and she learn to also loved it. Gabby Lui, favorite song is Better than Revenge because of the background beat and vocals. Ms. Xu, a 8th grade science teacher favorite speak now song is Enchanted because she was a teenager back than and she loved that song and reminisce when listening to Enchanted. 

Swifties this week question can be found here:  Speak Now Question

So, let’s celebrate the triumphs, cherish the memories, and stay tuned as we unravel the magic of “Red: Taylor’s Version” in the next chapter. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

*INFO BEFORE 1989 WAS REALEASED. DATE OF JULY 9TH*

Part 2: FEARLESS

Swifties: Last week I asked the question.  What age did Taylor Swift write a 350 page novel? 

The answer is 12 years old! Our winner is Katrin Otaegi. Please come to B-5 to collect your prize!

Taylor Swift continued her musical journey with the album “Fearless,” released on November 11, 2008, just a month before she turned 19. Swift, who had been singing since the age of two, crafted a collection of songs that delved into very personal details about her life, revolving around the main themes of “boys, love, and relationships.”

As an artist on the brink of adulthood, Swift’s ability to capture the essence of teenage life with wistful nostalgia resonated widely. “Fearless” propelled her from the confines of traditional Nashville country music charts into the pop mainstream, marking a significant shift in her career trajectory.

The album spawned five singles, with the first, “Love Story,” breaking records in the music industry. With lyrics invoking Shakespeare’s Romeo And Juliet and a visually captivating music video, the song became a crossover hit, selling over eight million copies worldwide and quickly becoming the best-selling country song of all time.

In track “Fifteen,” Swift reflects on high-school romance, singing, “In your life you’ll do things greater than/Dating the boy on the football team/I didn’t know it at 15.” Her relatable American high-school narratives found universal appeal. The critical acclaim for “Fearless” was widespread, and hits like “Forever And Always,” “Fifteen,” and “You Belong With Me” contributed to Swift’s impressive accolades. 

Swift, known for her candidness, admitted to TV host Ellen DeGeneres that the song title “Forever And Always” was “sarcastic,” referencing a former celebrity boyfriend who had ended their relationship in a mere 27-second phone call. Despite the ups and downs, “The Best Day” served as a feel-good tribute to her parents. The socially-conscious closing track, “Change,” hinted at Swift’s evolving political beliefs.

Rerecord: 

Taylor Swift rerecorded her album fearless in 2021. She rerecorded because she wanted her rights back and wanted to show people that she can own her music and still break records. Meanwhile, these are some of the records that Fearless TV broke. TV stands for Taylor’s Version. Taylor Swift’s latest album, marking her ninth consecutive number one, has become the biggest debut for a country album in nearly six years, selling 291,000 equivalent album units in its first week. This achievement also makes it the top overall album release of 2021 in the U.S., according to Billboard. Swift’s success ties her with Madonna for the second-most number one albums among women. The original Fearless album was a massive hit, reigning atop the Billboard 200 for 11 weeks in 2009 and winning Album of the Year at the Grammys, the Country Music Association Awards, and the Academy of Country Music Awards. 

Here are some of Fallon’s favorite Fearless songs: 

Ms. Baker, an eighth-grade history teacher, loves Mr. Perfectly Fine as a Vault song. Fearless was the first Taylor Swift concert in 2009/2010. She also loves songs such as Hey Stephen and Forever and Always. My favorite has to be Mr. Perfectly Fine, or You Belong with Me. I dressed up as Taylor from the music video. 8th graders Sloka Vankineni and Aarya Chawathe’s favorite Fearless song is The Other Side of The Door (Taylor’s Version). Do you have a favorite song that isn’t mentioned? Email [email protected] for next time.

In Swift’s own words, “Fearless is not the absence of fear. It’s not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.”

SWIFTIES: This week question can be found here:  Speak Now Question

Speak Now will be coming soon!

Part 1: DEBUT

Born on December 13, 1989, in West Reading, Pennsylvania, Taylor Swift’s journey to musical stardom began long before she released her album, “Debut”. When Taylor Swift was only 14, she started a musical journey to Nashville with dreams of making it big in the music world. At the age of 16, she released her very first album “Taylor Swift”. Taylor’s debut album was not just about music; it was a mix of family inspiration and personal stories. Her late grandmother, who used to be an opera singer, played a big role in shaping Taylor’s love for music. Inspired by her grandmother and tunes from Dixie Chicks songs, Taylor learned to play the guitar, showing her dedication to becoming a skilled musician.

As she went through the time of her first album, Taylor’s life was a mix of creativity, hard work, and discovering more about herself. Her teenage years, filled with a love for music, became the foundation for the tunes that echoed through the streets of Nashville. Taking inspiration from country legends like Patsy Cline and Dolly Parton, Taylor not only honored her grandmother’s musical roots but also added her own unique touch to her performances.

Released in 2006, the debut album was a joint effort. Taylor worked with songwriter Liz Rose to create hits like “Tim McGraw.” The album’s success, with platinum-certified singles and several Top 10 hits, showed that Taylor could make music that people from different backgrounds enjoyed. While enjoying the success of her first album, Taylor also wrote songs about important and personal topics. 

In “Tied Together With A Smile,” she talked about a friend’s struggle with an eating disorder, showing that her music was not just about catchy tunes but also about real emotions and stories. Taylor’s honesty and storytelling made her stand out in the crowded music scene. Quotes from this time give us a peek into Taylor’s thoughts. She once said, “I didn’t want to just be another girl singer recording other people’s songs. I wanted there to be something that set me apart. And I knew that had to be my writing.” This quote tells us that even back then, Taylor knew she wanted her music to be special and different, setting the tone for her future career. From 2006 to May of 2008, Taylor Swift’s first album wasn’t just about starting a music career; it was the start of a dynasty.

SWIFTIES: What age did Taylor Swift write a 350 page novel? 

https://forms.gle/VX831LWLw8XL2swD8

Come back soon for Part 2. It will be about her Fearless era (and her rerecord)!!