Creator of ‘Dragon Ball’ Akira Toriyama, dies at 68

The tragic death of 68-year-old Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama has touched many hearts. For some, his shows were their childhood; for others, they were a relief from a long day.

Toriyama’s death occurred on March 1st and was confirmed in a statement by his manga and design production companies, Bird Studio and Capsule Corporation Tokyo. They explained that the cause of his death was an acute subdural hematoma, a condition in which blood clots between the skull and brain.

His loss has brought much heartache. He was a beloved man of the Japanese franchise with multiple anime and manga publications. Throughout his career, Toriyama did not care if his work did not bring him much money or fame. Unlike other manga authors, he mainly focused on entertaining his readers. He didn’t worry about conveying a message as he knew his readers would find their message in his stories. “The role of my manga,” he explains, “is to be a work of entertainment through and through.” He never expected his franchise to grow so enormously.

Toriyama was always interested in film and manga. In high school, he studied design at a high school in Aichi Prefecture. After graduation, he worked for an advertising company in Nagoya. At 23, he left his job and started drawing manga. His first manga was an action and adventure comic called “Wonder Island,” published in 1978.

Later, he started gaining recognition with his anime adaptation of “Dr. Slump.” The science fiction manga was about an android girl known for her superhuman strength and childish personality. Its adaptation into anime helped Toriyama advance in the Japanese anime and manga franchise.

Finally, Akira Toriyama became one of Japan’s leading comic authors through his famous manga and anime franchise, “Dragon Ball,” which achieved worldwide recognition. The plot of “Dragon Ball” follows a young boy named Son Goku who embarks on a mission to collect the seven magical orbs that will summon a mysterious wish-granting dragon. This work has spanned 42 volumes, sold millions of copies worldwide, and became one of the most famous franchises in the Japanese industry. He also designed the characters for the “Dragon Quest” video game series.

Akira Toriyama made a significant change to this world. He influenced many young children and still does now. He is a role model for many, changing the Japanese entertainment franchise forever. “Dragon Ball” will never be forgotten, and neither will his influence. Toriyama cared only about his readers more than anything else. He wanted to change the world and just share his work. Now, his work will be shared for generations to come.

Sources:

‘Dragon Ball’ Creator Akira Toriyama Dies Age 68 – The New York Times.