Woodshop program at Valley View Middle School

Bringing back the woodshop throughout schools worldwide has been awaited by many, and Valley View Middle School, located in Pleasanton has taken the first step in that direction. Through their new woodshop program, students can participate in crafts and projects included in woodworking. With these newfound skills, many may conclude that bringing these opportunities to the youth is a great idea. Though the woodshop was discontinued in 2016, teachers are working together to create a safe environment and find a way to restore the woodshop to its original glory. 

To illustrate, according to Ms. Manasewitsch, a teacher taking part in funding of the program, “Hands-on courses allow students to develop applicable skills for the real world, and these types of courses draw in students who may feel less successful in traditional academic classes,” (donorschoose.org). Ms. Manasewitsch later explained teaching the fundamentals can also be tied to engineering for the students interested in the program. Through the program, many students will be able to try out other arts and explore different passions they are interested in. 

Though many ask why trade was the effect of the need for restoration, and what the significance can mean for the community. The answer can be found in the new experiences students are able to go through, while learning basic crafting and woodworking with tools such as drills, hammers, and more. These basic skills may help students in the near future with their real life skills and their ability to fix objects in the face of adversity.

By partnering with their close robotics team, students can closely relate engineering and robotics parts to building and woodworking. With the best of both worlds, children leave school with few new skills daily.  Through the program, many students connect and can better communicate. Many are interested in continuing woodwork in their lives after going to this class. A question arises whether more middle schools should implement this idea of returning the trades to the Bay Area. Would you be interested in a crafts program, including arts like woodworking, at Fallon?

Bring Back the Trades! Woodshop Revival

Woodshop has been disappearing from California schools for decades. Here’s why one Bay Area teacher is bringing it back.