The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Pope Agrees to Bless Same-sex Marriages

The first pope to bless same-sex marriage

Same-sex relationships have existed for thousands of years and will continue to exist. Although these relationships have existed for so long, the route to marriage hasn’t always been as clear. The first same-sex relationship was believed to be way back in 2400 B.C.E., but the first couple to file for same-sex marriage was in 1971 in the United States Thirty-three years later, on May 17, 2004, Massachusetts became the first state to legalize these marriages. On June 16, 2015, the Supreme Court struck down all bans on same-sex marriage as it violated the 14th Amendment. It stated,  “No state shall make or enforce any laws which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States.” The previous bans made it illegal for individuals of the same sex to marry, enter a civil union, or gain entitlement to any benefits of valid marriages.

Since 2015, all restrictions on same-sex marriage  have been lifted. The Vatican, the home of the Catholic Church and the home of the pope announced that it would approve Catholic priests’ blessing of same-sex marriage. People all around the world are celebrating this tremendous feat of inclusion for the LGBTQ+ community. This is a monumental step towards the inclusion of LGBTQ+ in the church.

Numerous students were interviewed on their opinions concerning this matter.

Seventh grader Anaya Jukar shared her perspective, saying, “I think it’s nice because everyone should love and support who they love.” Her words reflect the growing acceptance and understanding among the younger generation.

Another seventh grader, Svara Wani, said, “It’s good. People should not discriminate against bisexual or lesbian or gay or anyone in the LGBTQ+ community,” adding on to the new light being shed on the inclusivity of this group. 

The Vatican’s decision has sparked a range of reactions. Some are uncertain, questioning if it alters the long-standing rules they’ve adhered to. Others are jubilant, seeing it as a positive change. However, there’s still a question mark over whether Pope Francis will officially recognize same-sex marriage in the church, leaving some in anticipation.

Whatever the answers to these questions are, we can be assured that Fallon is a safe and respectful place that welcomes all groups of people with open arms.

Sources:

Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act | Women and Justice | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute