The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Covid on the Rise, Again
Covid on the Rise, Again
February 20, 2024
Are Finals Really Worth It?
Are Finals Really Worth It?
February 20, 2024
Christmas Traditions
Christmas Traditions
February 15, 2024

California’s Drought

Is it Over?

You’ve probably heard about the notorious California drought, right? The one that had us all rethinking our water usage, from quick showers to embracing the golden hues of our lawns. But guess what? There is some positive news!

The Return of the Rain 

Have you noticed the recent rainy days? They’re not just perfect for snuggling up with a good book, they’re also our secret weapon against the drought. We’ve had one of the wettest January—November periods on record (since 1895), with rainfall increasing by 5.21 inches from the norm. That’s a lot of rain!

The Drought Monitor

California’s Drought

According to the U.S. Drought Monitor, which monitors drought conditions, California is currently 100% drought-free. Yes, you read that right, zero percent! Only 3.4% of the state is classified as ‘Abnormally Dry’. This is a huge improvement from the past few years.

Are We Out of the Woods? 

While this is fantastic news, it doesn’t mean we can start leaving the tap running. Experts caution that despite the recent rains, we’re not completely clear yet. The state will need consistent rainfall for many years to fully recover from the megadrought.

Our Role 

So, what does this mean for us, the teens of California? It means we have a part to play in conserving water and raising awareness. Remember, every drop counts! Let’s continue to be water-wise Californians and pave the way towards a sustainable future.

While we’re not entirely drought-free, we’re definitely heading in the right direction. So, the next time it rains, remember to enjoy it, because every drop is helping us combat the drought. Stay water-wise, California!