Alameda County Jail & Proximity to Fallon

What safety precautions and laws are in place for the safety of students?

Dublin, California, is not just a wonderful place to live but also a safe one. With over 24 beautiful public parks, large open spaces for biking and hiking, lavish shopping centers, and a thriving community, Dublin offers a high quality of life. The average number of crimes per year in Dublin is 134, significantly safer than twenty-eight percent of all U.S. neighborhoods. This low crime rate should reassure citizens that they are safe and protected near their homes.

Dublin is a bustling, alluring city about one hour away from San Francisco. However, our neighboring cities, such as San Francisco and  Oakland, have had an ever-increasing crime rate. Oakland’s crime rate rose  21% in 2023.  The Santa Rita jail and the Glenn E. Dyer Detention Facility houses an average of 2,3362 men and 236 women daily. No need to fear, Prison breaks are very unlikely. In fact the probability of them happening is less than 1%. The problem lies with the proximity of the jail to the schools within the community. Jails must be a mandatory 1000 feet from school, and the county jail is 2.3 miles away. However, it still concerns both parents and students. Numerous interviews were conducted with various students, and here are their viewpoints on the jail.

One sixth grader, Charlotte Wong, said, “I feel fine because there are security cameras, a big fence, and amazing staff always ready for anything around the school. These measures, along with the safety protocols in place, reassure me that the prisoners pose no immediate threat.”

On the contrary, eighth grader Reva Gupta said, “Now that I know this information, I feel very scared. When I searched up some notable prisoners from the jail, I was astounded by some of the appalling crimes that they were there for.”

Many students, upon learning about the jails, may feel a sense of unease, especially in light of the rise of school shootings in the United States. However, it’s important to note that our community has always been proactive about safety and the prospect of any of these events happening is very improbable. Fallon ensures that the campus is a safe and comfortable place for all students alike. We have implemented robust safety measures, including fences, cameras, and yard duties patrolling the campus at all times to ensure the safety and well-being of our students. 

Sources

https://fiaeastbay.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/OCO_OURJAILS-English-FINAL.pdf

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/dublin/crime#:~:text=Dublin%2C%20CA%20crime%20analytics&text=The%20chance%20of%20becoming%20a,and%20towns%20of%20all%20sizes.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/oakland-violent-crime-robbery-18615820.php