The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Covid on the Rise, Again
Covid on the Rise, Again
February 20, 2024
Are Finals Really Worth It?
Are Finals Really Worth It?
February 20, 2024
Christmas Traditions
Christmas Traditions
February 15, 2024

Empowering Youth

Volunteering in the Community
Empowering Youth

In our fast-paced, ever-changing world, the power of volunteering is often overlooked. But guess what? It’s in Dublin that we can make the biggest impact! For us students, community volunteering isn’t just about giving back—it’s a method to improve our personal and professional growth. 

Why Volunteer?

Volunteering helps us develop crucial skills, gain hands-on experience, and build a solid sense of civic responsibility. It’s a ground for empathy, teamwork, and leadership, and gives us a stage to voice our ideas and be the change-makers. 

Ways to Volunteer

Local Nonprofits and Charities

Nonprofits and charities are always on the lookout for young volunteers. From helping at a local food bank, and tutoring children, to assisting in fundraising events, the opportunities are endless. In our very own Dublin, California, we have:

Dublin California, the local places to volunteer are:

1. Dublin Library 
  2. Animal Shelters 
  3. Religious Communities (Churches, Temples, etc) 
  4. Food Banks/Drives 

Community Events

Community events like festivals, clean-up drives, and charity runs often need a team of enthusiastic volunteers. Getting involved can help us understand the nuts and bolts of community building. And hey, don’t forget the St. Patrick’s Day Parade—it’s one of the biggest events in Dublin! 

School Clubs

Many schools have clubs laser-focused on community service. These clubs often organize events, drives, and campaigns that benefit the community. One such club at Fallon is the California Junior Scholarship Federation (CJSF), which is all about community spirit and volunteerism. 

Online Volunteering

Guess what? In this digital age, volunteering isn’t just about being there in person. Many organizations offer online volunteering opportunities, like social media management, content creation, and virtual tutoring. 

Making the Most of Volunteering

To truly tap into the power of volunteering, we should seek opportunities that align with our passions. After all, passion fuels motivation, making the volunteering experience more enjoyable and impactful. And remember, after each volunteering gig, take a moment to reflect on the experience, pinpoint key learnings, and identify areas for personal growth.  You should also keep a log of your volunteering noting what you did, the organization you helped, times, and what skills you gained in the process.  These notes just might come in handy down the road on job applications or college applications.

Conclusion

Volunteering is a game-changer! It’s a fantastic way for us, the youth, to engage with our community, develop essential skills, and make a real difference. Eighth Grader Meghna Rangeneni, explains her take on volunteerism, “I joined volunteering to learn and experience the joy of community service and volunteering. I think as a kid, I loved to help family members and take part in services.” By stepping up and taking action, we’re not just contributing to our communities—we’re paving the way for our future. So, let’s get out there and make a difference!