Reflections on the Impactful Day of Silence

Embracing Unity With Quiet

When reflecting on Fallon’s participation in the Day of Silence on April 12th, we should consider the message sent across our campus and the effect our student body has on our community. The Day of Silence is a silent reminder of the continued mistreatment of the LGBTQIA+ community and how they are forced to wear a metaphorical mask to hide their true self.

The buzz and engagement surrounding this event were tremendous, which showed a growing social change. The Day of Silence served as a touching reminder of the challenges faced by the LGBTQIA+ community and the critical role allyship can play.

This year’s Day of Silence at Fallon saw increased active engagement and advocacy, indicating a growing commitment to supporting the LGBTQIA+ community. Participants used silence to ensure voices were heard, sparking a call to action against discrimination. The event emphasized the importance of ongoing advocacy and allyship to create a more equitable future.

Mr. Carmel, a long-term substitute at Fallon, interpreted the message of the Day of Silence as highly crucial to understand. As he puts it, “It means…to me that there are so many people in the world who cannot speak for themselves for one reason or another, and because we have the right to free speech, it’s more important that we curb the speech to show solidarity.” This perspective shows the idea that true freedom of speech is for all, regardless of whether you are part of the LGBTQIA+ community.

Many students have their opinions on the Day of Silence as well. One student, Pragna Dacharla (7), says, “The message it sends is it shows the student body is standing together to combat bullying against LGBTQIA+ people.” By participating in the Day of Silence, students can show the community that they support and respect their peers who are LGBTQIA+.

During the Day of Silence, participants faced many challenges. Sydney Eidsyvik (7) stated, “It was difficult…I can’t just mouth words…so it was hard for people to understand what I was trying to tell them.” The staying silent part of this event is a challenge many participants face in the Day of Silence. This is especially true when students need to express themselves but can’t. This is just another reminder of how many LGBTQIA+ people feel at times. 

In conclusion, the recent Day of Silence demonstrated our campus’s strong support for the LGBTQIA+ community, emphasizing the importance of allyship and sparking conversations against discrimination. Let’s carry forward this spirit of solidarity as we work towards a more inclusive future at Fallon!