The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Eighth Grade Promotion Activities

“My beloved frightened graduates, you are about to embark on the most unpredictable and exhilarating phase of your lives.”
–Lin-Manuel Miranda.

As the school year ends, the eighth-grade class comes closer and closer to leaving Fallon and becoming high school students. However, before they leave, they experience many fun farewell activities, including a pool party at The Wave, a breakfast and yearbook signing, a graduation ceremony at Dublin High, and the promotion dance.

The pool party at The Wave will be on May 28, from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM. Eighth graders will get a chance to spend the whole day at the water park with their friends. The eighth-grade promotion committee will also provide lunch!

The promotion breakfast and yearbook signing will be on May 29 in the morning. Students will be escorted to the MPR from their first-period class and eat breakfast generously provided by the Fallon Parent Faculty Club. They will also be able to sign yearbooks.

The graduation ceremony at Dublin High School’s Football Stadium will be on May 30 at 6:00 PM. Parents and students can attend the ceremony and watch as the eighth graders perform a promotion ceremony at Dublin High. It is important to arrive early, as stadium seating will open on a first-come, first-served basis at 5:00 PM. Luckily, there are no tickets for the ceremony, and students are not limited to a maximum number of guests.

Last but not least, this year’s promotion dance will be on May 10th from 6:30 PM-9:00 PM in the Fallon MPR. The theme is “An Enchanted Evening”, which was selected by the eighth-grade class. It encompasses mythical creatures like fairies and mysterious forests. Also, the dance will have free dinner and dessert; students only need their school ID to attend.

Many students are excited about the dance and are pleased by the theme. Reva Gupta (8) explains, “I chose the theme of Enchanted Evening because I saw the example photo, and I thought that it looked really pretty.” Enchanted Evening is inspired by a night in an enchanted, magical forest. However, some students feel that the theme wasn’t the best. Anagha Paranthanate (8) elaborates, “[I think] it’s lowkey basic.” She later added that she believes that the decorations at the dance will be simple and plain because the theme relates to a forest.

The eighth-grade promotion committee also advises wearing dressy or nice/casual clothing for the dance. As these activities are privileges, the eighth graders need to be on their best behavior. No one wants to be denied attending these activities. Some of these aspects include not missing textbooks or library books, meeting Fallon’s behavioral expectations for the 4th quarter, and not violating any school rules in the fourth quarter. As long as students are in good academic and citizenship standing, they can attend the end-of-year activities.

However, most importantly, it is the eighth-grade class’ job to have fun. The eighth-grade promotion dance is specially meant for the eighth graders to celebrate their time here at Fallon and their graduation from eighth grade and on to high school. No matter what, Fallon will never forget these eighth-grade students and celebrate them! So, eighth graders, come to the eighth-grade promotion dance and get ready to dance the night away!

Also, to make the end-of-year events successful, the eighth-grade promotion committee is asking for a $45 or more donation from each student to cover the cost of these events. You can make your donation if you would like.

Sources:

150 Best 8th Grade Graduation Quotes For Middle School

2024 8th Grade End of Year Letter

Fallon Parent Faculty Club “Fallon Flash” 37