The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The 66th Grammys

This article encapsulates the important moments of the Grammys on Sunday, Feb 4, at 5:00 p.m.

5:05 pm – Dua Lipa debuts new song during Grammys opener

Dua Lipa kicked off the Grammys by previewing her upcoming song “Training Season” before launching into the lead single, “Houdini.”

5:19 – Miley Cyrus wins her first Grammy for Best Pop Solo Performance

Miley Cyrus received her first Grammy for the best pop solo performance, winning for “Flowers” and humorously remarking on nearly missing the presentation due to traffic.

5:20 – Noah points out Swift’s economic impact

Host Trevor Noah humorously highlighted Taylor Swift’s economic impact, joking about the boost her Eras Tour brought to cities worldwide.

5:25 – Luke Combs performs ‘Fast Car’ with Tracy Chapman

Luke Combs and Tracy Chapman teamed up for a highly anticipated duet, performing “Fast Car” and eliciting cheers from the crowd.

5:35 – Karol G wins best Musica Urbana album

Karol G made history as the first female reggaeton artist to win a Grammy, securing the best Musica Urbana album award for “Mañana Será Bonito.”

5:41 – SZA performs ‘SOS’ hits

SZA delivered a captivating performance, opening with “Snooze” and transitioning into a femme fatale rendition of “Kill Bill,” showcasing martial artistry and killer aesthetics.

5:46 – Taylor Swift in clock necklace set to midnight

Taylor Swift made a fashion statement at the Grammys, wearing a clock necklace set to midnight, sparking online speculation about potential Easter eggs related to “Reputation (Taylor’s Version).”

5:54 – Crowd gives standing ovation for Billie Eilish and Finneas

Billie Eilish and Finneas received a standing ovation for their emotional rendition of “What Was I Made For?” The song, which won Best Song Written for Visual Media, resonated deeply with the audience.

6:01 – Miley Cyrus performs ‘Flowers’ at Grammys

Miley Cyrus took the Grammy stage with a stunning performance of her Grammy-winning hit, “Flowers,” capturing the audience’s attention and excitement.

6:07 – Lainey Wilson wins best country album

Lainey Wilson celebrated her first Grammy win for the best country album, “Bell Bottom Country,” marking a significant milestone in her career.

6:17 – SZA wins best R&B song

SZA secured her third Grammy of the night, winning the best R&B song category for her hit “Snooze.” Overwhelmed with emotion, she embraced Lizzo and expressed gratitude for her journey.

6:22 – Olivia Rodrigo spilled her ‘guts’ on the Grammys stage

Olivia Rodrigo showcased her emotional depth on the Grammys stage with a powerful performance of “Vampire,” nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

6:31 – U2 performs at the Vegas Sphere and presents an award to Taylor Swift

The legendary rock band U2 delivered a special performance from the Las Vegas Sphere and was honored to present the award to Taylor Swift for being the best pop vocalist.

6:35 PM – Taylor Swift wins her 13th Grammy for ‘Midnights’ – and announces brand new album

Taylor Swift made history during the Grammys by winning her 13th Grammy for “Midnights.” In a surprise announcement, she revealed her upcoming album, “The Tortured Poets Department,” which will be released on April 19.

6:49 – Stevie Wonder ‘duets’ with Tony Bennett during Grammys memorial

Stevie Wonder delivered a heartfelt “duet” with the late crooner Tony Bennett, singing and playing the piano while duetting with a video recording of Bennett. Wonder expressed his love for Bennett and paid tribute to other artists who passed away in the past year.

6:53 – Lenny Kravitz and Jon Batiste pay tribute to Clarence Avant

During the Grammys’ memorial tribute, Lenny Kravitz paused to spotlight the contributions of the late Clarence Avant, revered as the “Godfather of Black Music.” A moving performance from Grammy nominee Jon Batiste followed the tribute.

6:55 – Grammy winner Killer Mike detained after an altercation

Rapper Killer Mike was detained for questioning by the Los Angeles Police Department and escorted out of the Grammys venue after an altercation. The incident occurred after he won three Grammy awards at the pre-show Premiere Ceremony.

6:58 – Oprah honors the late Tina Turner

Oprah took the stage to honor the iconic Tina Turner, who passed away last May. In a speech paying tribute to Turner’s legendary career and impact, Oprah called her the “forever goddess of rock ’n’ roll.” Fantasia, star of “The Color Purple” musical remake, performed a tribute.

7:02 – It’s a Carter family affair

Beyoncé, accompanied by her husband Jay-Z and eldest daughter Blue Ivy Carter, made a grand entrance. The Carter family received a warm welcome as they attended the Grammys together.

7:05 – Annie Lennox calls for a cease-fire

During the Grammy Awards, Annie Lennox performed a tribute to Sinéad O’Connor and called for a cease-fire, saying “Artists for cease-fire.”

7:09 – Jay-Z accepts Dr. Dre Global Impact Award

Jay-Z accepted the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award and brought his daughter Blue Ivy onstage. In his acceptance speech, he encouraged perseverance and highlighted Beyoncé’s repeated snubs.

7:21 – Billie Eilish and Finneas win song of the year

Billie Eilish and Finneas snagged the song of the year award for their hit “What Was I Made For?” Eilish expressed surprise and gratitude, acknowledging the incredible artists in the category.

7:29 – Joni Mitchell takes the Grammys stage for the first time

Brandi Carlile paid homage to Joni Mitchell’s career, introducing her debut Grammy performance. Mitchell, who won her 10th Grammy, sang her hits accompanied by a string quartet with Carlile right by her side.

7:40 – Inside the Grammys: Swift and Jelly Roll

During a commercial break, Taylor Swift shared a moment with Best New Artist nominee Jelly Roll. The two had a lengthy conversation, adding a personal touch to the Grammys.

7:55 – Travis Scott performs at the Grammys

Rapper Travis Scott took the Grammys stage, opening with “My Eyes” and later bringing out Playboi Carti for a performance of “FE!N.”

7:59 – Recording Academy CEO praises music as a unifying force

Harvey Mason Jr., CEO of The Recording Academy, delivered a speech on the power of music to unify people, emphasizing its role as “one of humanity’s greatest connectors.”

8:03 – Burna Boy brings Nigerian culture to the Grammys stage

Accompanied by Brandy, Burna Boy performed “Sittin’ on Top of the World,” incorporating a sample of Brandy’s 1998 song “Top of the World.” The performance showcased Nigerian culture on the Grammys stage.

8:10 – Victoria Monét wins Best New Artist

Victoria Monét, who already won the best R&B album, added another win to her night with the Best New Artist award. In a tearful acceptance speech, she thanked her mother and reflected on her 15-year journey in Los Angeles.

8:10 – Virginia teacher wins music educator award

Annie Ray, a Virginia teacher, received the Music Educator Award, recognizing her significant contributions to music education.

8:18 – Mark Ronson presents the best record with mother-in-law Meryl Streep

DJ and record producer Mark Ronson, joined by his mother-in-law Meryl Streep, presented the award for record of the year. Ronson, married to Streep’s daughter, expressed a familial connection in their presentation.

8:19 – Miley Cyrus wins record of the year for ‘Flowers’

Miley Cyrus secured the Record of the Year award for “Flowers,” marking her second Grammy night win. The category acknowledges the specific recording of a song and credits the artists, producers, and engineers involved.

8:25 – Billy Joel performs a new single

Legendary singer Billy Joel graced the Grammys stage with a performance of his new single, “Turn the Lights Back On,” his first release in nearly 20 years. The audience was treated to the piano dazzle of the music icon as the awards ceremony approached its end.

8:26 – Celine Dion makes an appearance at Grammys

In a surprise appearance at the night’s end, Celine Dion, a five-time Grammy winner, stepped onstage to present the coveted album of the year award. Her presence elicited roaring cheers and a standing ovation from the Grammys audience.

8:31 – Taylor Swift makes history with fourth Album of the Year win

Taylor Swift made history by getting her fourth album of the year win with “Midnights.” Setting a record, she became the first singer to achieve this feat. Swift, who had already won the award three times, expressed gratitude and shared the stage with Lana Del Rey during the acceptance.

8:36 – Grammys wrap up with Billy Joel dance party

Although the Grammys were scheduled to conclude at 8:30 p.m. PST, the event wrapped up with a delightful surprise: a dance party featuring the return of Billy Joel to the stage. The legendary singer extended the festivities with more music, providing a lively conclusion to the night.

9:12 – Taylor Swift embraces Celine Dion in new picture

The night concluded with a heartwarming moment as Taylor Swift, the big winner of the evening, shared a cute picture with Celine Dion. Dion, who presented the Album of the Year award, embraced Swift, creating a memorable snapshot of the Grammys.

This timeline captures the highlights of the Grammys, from powerful performances and historic wins to unexpected appearances, making it a night to remember in the music industry.