The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

Is Academic Prep Being Used to its Full Potential?

At Fallon Middle School, a 30-minute period known as “Academic Prep” was implemented years ago with the intention of providing students with dedicated time to complete homework, read, study, and ask questions to their teachers. However, concerns have been raised about whether this period is being used to its full potential.

Purpose of Academic Prep

Academic Prep was designed to provide students with a structured environment to focus on their academic responsibilities. The idea was simple: give students a quiet, supervised space where they can concentrate on their studies without the distractions typically found at home. Teachers also have a system that allows them to pull certain students out of their respective prep periods by signing their Minder Binder, a resource used to stay organized to provide extra help, which can boost grades and understanding of the material. Peer assistance is also encouraged in these periods of study time, including many California Junior Scholarship Federation students tutoring their peers.  

Misuse of Academic Prep

However, recent observations suggest that many students may not be using this time as effectively as intended. Instead of studying or completing assignments, some students have been seen having non-academic conversations, using their phones, or playing online games. The question arises: Is Academic Prep fulfilling its purpose? Or has it become just another free period? Teachers and administrators at FMS are aware of these concerns and are actively seeking solutions. Some suggest stricter rules enforcement during Academic Prep, while others propose more engaging and interactive study methods to keep students focused. 

Student and Staff Interviews

The students and staff at Fallon share their claims about Academic Prep. Mishka Agrawal, a seventh grader, enjoys her time to study. “During AP, I do my homework, and I talk with my friends, so I think it is a good use of my time.” Many people also share Mishka’s opinions, as students can be found doing homework.

Another seventh grader, Anusha Garg, provides a possible advantage of this period. “I like to have time to just read, because I usually don’t have time to do that, so during AP I read.” Since many students are already overwhelmed with responsibilities inside and outside of school, many are unable to create time for things they like to do. This flex period may be a time for them to relax and do things that they find enjoyable. 

Additionally, eighth-grade science teacher, Ms. Xu observes that while some students are on-task, others “sit around and play games, which [she] usually doesn’t allow.” Many teachers have shared this view, as common student activities during A.P. include socializing with friends, playing computer games, and even going on phones. This period can be viewed as a pre-high school study hall, built to prepare students for higher education, and off-task activities defeat its purpose. A possible solution may be uniting the teachers’ regulations around A.P., so students in different classes won’t be confused regarding the rules of academic prep.

Ms.Wasson, a seventh and eighth-grade math teacher, believes that the “A.P. structure needs to change,” and she knows that “some of the teachers are looking into a way that we can make it more flexible,” to provide students with quality time during prep. Making the period more flexible allows students to be better supported by their different teachers. This could result in a boost in grades and academic progress. Morphing the structure may also help students appreciate and use the time efficiently.

Furthermore, sixth and eighth-grade science teacher, Ms. Stanke reflects on the effects of noneducational work done during A.P., as she thinks that “it can be very distracting for other students in the room.” Due to the proximity of the classroom, when one student is gaming, the people near them may be negatively affected. This can range from distractions for work to even influencing them to play games as well. 

Another teacher, who wished to remain anonymous, stated that AP had become a struggle of constant discipline to keep students on task.  The teacher said, “If you don’t watch them constantly, they are off task, loud, and doing their own thing.  It essentially ruins any opportunity you have to work with small groups, because the rest of the class falls apart as soon as you stop watching them.  At this point, I’d rather stop AP altogether unless something changes drastically.”

Conclusion

Despite these challenges, it’s important to remember the goal of Academic Prep: to support students in their academic journey. As such, it’s crucial for both students and staff to work together to ensure this time is used effectively. Academic Prep doesn’t solely depend on the rules set by the school, but also on the students’ willingness to take advantage of this opportunity. The effectiveness of Academic Prep at FMS will depend on the collective efforts of the students and teachers. It’s a team effort, and everyone has a role to play.