Diseases in Dogs

“Everything changes with time’s passage. Only change itself is constant.” These famous words are quoted from the wise words of Terry Brooks, an American epic fantasy writer. For centuries, dogs have been known as man’s best friends. They have always been there for every troubled human, supporting them in times of enjoyment or possible distress. However, nothing in life stays the same, especially relationships. Disease has an unpredictable appearance in life. Just as humanity has been harshly affected by the agony of disease, dogs have also been severely troubled. Diseases have shown prominence in dogs, such as cancer and respiratory diseases.

Cancer affects not only humans but dogs as well. According to a study published by the Royal Society Open Science, medium-sized dogs are more likely to get cancer. Leonard Nunney, the lead author of the paper, said that since big dogs die at a younger age, they don’t have as much of a risk of developing cancer since they die earlier. Some breeds most prone to cancer are flat-coated retrievers, Bernese mountain dogs, and Westies. Contrary to previous expectations, terriers have a much higher possibility of developing cancer, specifically bladder cancer, because of their size. Sarcoma, a rare cancer in tissues and bones, is typically found in flat-coated retrievers. On the other hand, Bernese mountain dogs are prone to lymphoma, which is cancer in the lymph nodes. While the treatment is very costly, thankfully, it’s one of the few cancers that can be found using a blood test.

In addition to cancer, respiratory diseases (or diseases relating to breathing) have also been frequent in dogs. Canine respiratory diseases develop for a multitude of reasons. Diseases are most commonly spread through dog-to-dog contact. Some symptoms to be aware of are coughing, sneezing, labored breathing, nose or eye discharge, lethargy, or decreased appetite. Recently, veterinarians have reported an increase in canine respiratory diseases. Dr. David Needle, a veterinary pathologist, believes that the diseases come from “a small bacterium that boasts a genome unusually rich in the DNA ‘letters’ adenine and thymine and poor in cytosine and guanine—which is atypical for most organisms.” Simply, it is a bacterium (a singular bacteria) missing genes that enable it to survive in the environment, resulting in the need to live within dogs. Scientists still need to conduct many more tests to determine the exact cause of the disease. 

A few major respiratory diseases that can affect dogs are kennel cough and the Footpad or Hard Pad Disease. Kennel cough is a highly contagious upper respiratory illness caused by several strains of bacteria and viruses. It can spread through airborne droplets, direct contact, or contaminated surfaces, such as food or water bowls. It is transmitted through bacteria, which is easily preventable with vaccination.

Footpad Disease is a viral, contagious, and severe disease affecting various animal families. It affects a dog’s upper and lower respiratory system and causes the pads on its feet to harden and thicken. The disease can affect dogs of any age, particularly puppies less than four months old.

Respiratory diseases and cancer have majorly affected the lives of dogs and families everywhere. It is crucial to take a proactive approach to ensure that your dog isn’t succumbing to them. Regular blood tests and checkups with your veterinarian is one of the ways to make sure your dog isn’t sick. Dogs are one of the most precious things in our lives, and although they may succumb to diseases, it is important to spend every moment with them and make sure they live their lives to the fullest.

Sources:

Certain Dog Breeds Have a Higher Likelihood of Getting Cancer, New Study Says

These dog breeds have a higher likelihood of getting cancer, according to new research – ABC News

Bernese Mountain Dog

Canine respiratory disease outbreaks | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Respiratory Problems In Dogs | Trudell Animal Health

What’s Causing Mysterious Respiratory Illness in Dogs? | Scientific American