The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

First Neuralink in Humans!

First Neuralink in Humans!

How can Neuralink help humans? What effects does it have? A Neuralink is an implant designed to decode and stimulate brain activity. Neuralink is a company that was founded by Elon Musk in 2016. The engineers worked on it for eight years, and it was finally used on January 29, 2024.

One of the most exciting things Neuralink does is help paralyzed, or amputees gain some sense in their disabled parts. This is significant because there is yet a proper cure for paralysis. Luckily, this allows paralyzed people to move again and create a life without dependency on support staff or equipment. Another essential part that Neuralink can do is let people who were born blind to see again. People finally see the world for the first time and conquer the darkness atop their eyes. This design is still in progress, but Neuralink Aims to make it work by bypassing the eye and generating a visual image directly into the brain.

The Neuralink is also a Bluetooth device that can connect to a computer or other devices. Just a few weeks ago, a Neuralink patient played a game of chess on a computer with his mind and could do so without using his hands. This was made possible through the Neuralink, which translated thoughts into action. Currently, a limitation of the hardware is that it operates for only a few hours at a time. Luckily, a way to charge it is by using a custom baseball cap that charges the Neuralink wirelessly via a compact inductive charger. A compact inductive charger is a charging mat that can be used on most devices that need to be charged. 

In conclusion, the future of Neuralink is bright since it will be able to seamlessly integrate humans and computers, enhancing our ability to communicate, control devices, and access information directly through thought.

Sources: 

What Is Neuralink? What We Know So Far. | Built In

The Future Is In Our Minds: Elon Musk and The Neuralink Brain Chip

Elon Musk’s Neuralink implanted its first brain chip in a human’s skull. Here’s what we know about the surgery.