Remembering Nex Benedict: A Tragic Loss

The Owasso High School community in Oklahoma mourns the loss of 16-year-old Nex Benedict, a transgender student who tragically took their own life on February 8, 2024.

Nex, who identified as transgender and used he/they pronouns, was known for his vibrant spirit and courage. However, they had reportedly faced bullying at school over their gender identity. The incident that preceded their death involved a confrontation with three students in a bathroom, during which Nex defended themselves and a friend against harassment. Despite the circumstances surrounding Nex’s death, the Tulsa County District Attorney announced that no charges would be filed in connection with the incident. The decision was based on the assessment that the fight was an instance of mutual combat. This meant that both parties were equally involved in the battle that occurred during school.

The medical examiner’s report listed the probable cause of death as “combined toxicity” from two drugs that Nex used to commit suicide. The Owasso Police Department, which had observed many indications that this death was the result of suicide, waited for the final results from the Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s Office before confirming this information.

Nex’s death has sparked a nationwide conversation about the safety and well-being of transgender and nonbinary students. Advocates argue that an onslaught of legislation targeting the LGBTQ+ community has made schools less safe for LGBTQ+ students.

In the wake of this tragedy, we must remember Nex for who they were: a brave individual who stood up against bullying and intolerance. His story is a stark reminder of the urgent need for inclusivity, understanding, and support for all students, regardless of gender identity.

Let’s honor Nex’s memory by fostering a school environment where everyone feels safe, accepted, and valued. Let’s stand together against bullying and discrimination and make sure that Nex’s tragic death changes society.

Writer’s Note: If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, please reach out to a trusted adult or a mental health professional. You are not alone, and there are resources available to help.

Sources:

What happened to Nex Benedict?

What We Know About the Death of Nex Benedict in …