Earth Day

Every year on April 22nd, people worldwide celebrate Earth Day, a day dedicated to raising awareness about environmental issues and advocating for saving the Earth. Earth Day started in 1970 as a marching campaign but soon became a powerful global movement. Today, Earth Day has grown into a movement that millions of communities and organizations partake in to preserve the planet for future generations.

Climate change has been one of the most critical debates on Earth Day for the past two decades. The burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, and burning coal to run cars and houses has rapidly increased greenhouse gas emissions. This causes a domino effect of higher global temperatures, melting ice caps, higher water levels, and more frequent extreme weather. Climate change also poses a threat to human health, biodiversity, and stability in the ecosystem. On Earth Day, creating and implementing solutions to these problems is essential. A few ways to do this are walking instead of driving to school, using electric vehicles, or carpooling.

Another critical issue Earth Day raises is the escalating deforestation, resulting in biodiversity loss. Biodiversity is the variety of all living things and their interactions. Human activities, such as habitat destruction, pollution, and overexploitation of natural resources, have caused a dramatic decline in wildlife populations and degraded the environment. Protecting biodiversity is important because, without it, the balance of our ecosystem would be in chaos.

Earth Day is also a perfect opportunity to celebrate the beauty and diversity of our planet. Earth is home to many different landscapes and ecosystems, from the majestic Fuji mountains to the lush Brazilian forest to the Sahara desert. It is our responsibility to protect these natural wonders for future generations.

As we celebrate Earth this year, let’s remember Earth Day isn’t just one day of action. It’s a reminder to protect the environment and change for the better.

Sources:

Earth Day | EarthDay.org

Earth Day | National Geographic

Earth Day | US EPA

Shop these Earth Day deals for savings on sustainable products