The Maverick Newspaper

Fallon Middle School's Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

The Maverick Newspaper

New School Year, New Core Changes

Fallon’s Core Grading System

During the fall of 2023, Fallon Middle School implemented a unique core grading system. As education continues to evolve, so does the way we assess student learning. This system is designed to be more comprehensive and provide a more accurate reflection of a student’s abilities. While some Mustangs embrace this new system, others remain unconvinced, leaving mixed opinions throughout Fallon. 

From a teacher perspective, 7th grade core teacher, Mr. Manalac, shares his opinion on this change, commenting, “I think it’s awesome because it is grading or assessing the most important part, which is how much the students are learning.” Mr. Manalac believes this new change will challenge students to work harder and succeed, which is the ultimate goal for all teachers. The 7th grade teacher explains, “For me, it’s more work because we constantly have to grade so that we can show our students what they need to work on, but it’s worth it because it pushes our students to work a lot harder.” When asked if the new core grading system was going to be the same for future years, he mentions that from his understanding the district wants to keep the new change because they think that this is a fair and equitable way to assess students. 

With a similar perspective, 7th grader Naman Jain supports the teacher’s point of view. He says, “I really like it because it properly assesses you and the way that you are learning.” Naman claims that homework doesn’t assess you on what you know because there will always be a source of information to copy off of. According to him, teachers trust students and think that they are truly doing their work from their understanding. Naman states, “I think the new core grading system does make this year especially challenging because you have to study hard for tests because the homework is now checked on completion and not accuracy.” When being asked if he is demotivated after hearing about the new core grading system, Naman explains, “The only thing that demotivates me is that all the effort that I put into the homework that I receive, counts as zero percent of my grade.” However, he thinks that the grading system should stay the same for future years because it will lead to one’s success by assessing their understanding. 

Meanwhile, 7th grader Shreesh Gundewar speaks for all that dislike the new core grading system. Gundewar explains that, “Last year, classwork was graded, which made it easier because we would know if we were doing something right or wrong and that helped us improve on tests. Also, it helped bring up my grade if I didn’t do the best on a test.” Many find this demotivating, knowing that they are going to be graded differently this year. Shreesh says, “I think my grade is going to drop because of the new core grading system because last year, I was able to bring my grade up with classwork and homework.” Others like Gundewar, who dislike this new system, want the grading system to change back to its “better” version.

The introduction of the new core grading system has sparked a debate within the Fallon community, with both teachers and students expressing their opinions. While some welcome this change and intend to make the most of it, others remain skeptical and are not entirely convinced of its benefits. As a result, there are mixed feelings about the district’s decision, and it remains to be seen how the new system will fare in the long run.

View Comments (3)
About the Contributor
Nethra Menon
Nethra Menon, Staff Writer
Donate to The Maverick Newspaper
$0
$5000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Fallon Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.